eBook Educators Group

where educators come to learn from one another

Can schools with accounts with Amazon use POs to pay for ebooks for the Kindles?  Do you have to set up a credit card to order books?  Any help would be appreciated as my Kindles (6) are on their way. Thanks

Views: 157

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Melinda,

You need to have some type of school credit card or a school procurement card tied to the Amazon account to pay for the ebooks or purchase an Amazon gift card.

Kathy Parker

Thank you, I am hoping that this is not going to be a problem for my business manager. I guess I thought because the library has account, we could do POs. but when I started to go through the information, I realized I was probably wrong about that. But the  Kindles are now here and I need to pick some titles. Thanks very much for your quick answer - much appreciated!

Kathleen Parker said:

Hi Melinda,

You need to have some type of school credit card or a school procurement card tied to the Amazon account to pay for the ebooks or purchase an Amazon gift card.

Kathy Parker

I have been buying American Express credit cards at drug stores (with my own money and the school then reimburses me). I attach the cards to my Kindle account and spend them until they're gone. I also heard that some drug stores sell Amazon gift cards so I may also try that route.
I am going through the exact same problem. My district will not support the use of credit cards or gift cards. They are fine with me laying out the money and then they would pay me back (ebooks). POs work fine to purchase the devices; it's setting up the accounts and downloading books that are problematic. I was going to buy NOOKs, now checking Kindles instead, thought maybe the purchasing procedures would be more educator friendly, but seems like it's pretty much the same. I am in a quandry, I don't know what I should do! I just won a $500 grant to purchase more ereaders. How ironic, since yesterday I found out that my district won't allow the purchase of gift cards, even if it is through a PO. Any advice that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

Marcia Kochel said:
I have been buying American Express credit cards at drug stores (with my own money and the school then reimburses me). I attach the cards to my Kindle account and spend them until they're gone. I also heard that some drug stores sell Amazon gift cards so I may also try that route.

Our finance department set up a corporate Amazon account and we give them the amount of the eBooks we would like purchase and the emails associated with the Amazon accounts. They buy the gift cards with the corporate account sending them via email to the special email accounts. Then we assign them to the Amazon accounts. We try to make the purchase amount for the gift cards match exactly how much the books cost. You have to be careful though, sometimes Amazon charges tax on eBooks and sometimes not. I called Amazon to ask if there was some way we would know which books have tax and which don’t but there is no way to tell until the purchase is completed. Now we order gift cards with the tax included.  This means we keep ending up with random amounts on each account.  :(

RSS

© 2017   Created by Will DeLamater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service