eBook Educators Group

where educators come to learn from one another

The new Nook Simple Reader looks like the reader I will use to launch our ebook reader adventure.  
Pluses:  

It holds a charge up to 2 months (won't need to check out a cord).

It has a touch screen and that will appeal to students.

It will hold up to 1,000 titles.

It is lightweight.

The price is 139.00.

While it has WiFi capability, it can only be used to read - no games, no emails, no surfing (this is important to my administration at this time).

Each title may be downloaded to 6 devices.

Views: 399

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, having seen the device at the store. It's small, like the newest Kindle without the keyboard, and the touch navigation works beautifully. Will love to hear more about your program!

Deb, I so appreciate your showing this to me in NOLA---I think this is the direction we'll be going for 2011-12!

Buffy

Buffy,

Glad I had a chance to share it with you.  I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences with it.  

Deb

Buffy Hamilton said:

Deb, I so appreciate your showing this to me in NOLA---I think this is the direction we'll be going for 2011-12!

Buffy

Will,

I have some work to do before it is in place, but this device will meet the requirements of our administration.  I like it better than the Kindle, because of the touch screen.  I think it will be more "intuitive" for my students.

Deb

Will DeLamater said:

I agree, having seen the device at the store. It's small, like the newest Kindle without the keyboard, and the touch navigation works beautifully. Will love to hear more about your program!

I've recently acquired a set that includes Kindles, the new Nook, and the 1st Gen. Nook.  A few things you may want to consider:

Is it important for you to be able to download mp3s to the device (as in audiobooks)?

Does the device require wireless to download books or can you also use USB?

Does the device require a credit card to download books (including free books)?

I'm in a university setting and I'm finding the Kindles much easier to deal with.  It may be that the difficulties with the NOOK are a plus in a school setting because they would be more difficult for students to download books themselves but the connection to a credit card is troubling.  I am also intrigued with the Kindle ability to share annotations/highlighting.

The Nooks will be a better fit for us because the accounts can now be password protected.  B&N is now providing a back end management tool for K12 libraries. You can now buy your ebooks with purchase orders, and they will give you the best price. They can also set up groups and subgroups of your Nooks for you, and they will push all the content to the appropriate Nooks for you so that you, the librarian, don't have all that red tape of management any more. Big change: for libraries, it will no longer be 6:1 for each ebook purchase. This is all unofficial, but this info has been confirmed to me by three B&N in three states in the last week.  I think some other changes are that are good are coming too, but I'm still awaiting details.  Here are two videos of interest:

Our local B & N where I purchased 16 of the original Nooks for our school last fall recently replaced two of our broken nooks with the new "simple readers". (On the advice of our director of technology I had not purchased a warranty plan, this was just an example of great customer service from B & N! Thanks so much to Troy at the Jefferson Point store in Ft. Wayne.)

I have not tried them out with students yet but I think they look like a great just for the reasons mentioned above. For those who are considering large purchases make sure you check out the new B & N plan for educational institutions who are purchasing 25 or more units. I didn't see it all in writing because this is all brand new but from what I understand, you will have the ability to  purchase  titles tax free  with the necessary documentation and there's no required credit card on file.  I don't know all the details, I think the company is still working all this out, but it's a huge step in the right direction in my opinion. Be sure to ask about your institutional options when you are ready to purchase.

As far as fragility, I truly think finding the right cover is the secret to getting these to work for schools. 

Also be aware of the ever changing world of DRM, I'm not sure how long publishers are going to "go" for the 1 title on 6 devices. Note some publishers are already rejecting the sale of e-books for this very reason.  

This feature is really meant for an individual user who might have multiple devices, not an institutional one. I think it continues only because nobody has figured out how to change it without upsetting a whole lot of users. Going along with Buffy's post, our local store owner said that institutional users  should plan on buying one title for each device they purchase so be aware of changes coming down the pike. It was a mixed message because I think you can still register 6 devices to each email account.

Hi,

I am in the final stages of writing my prposal to the PTA for Nook ereaders. I was going for the color model but after reading the comments and the info on the new simple touch reader I might change over. I would like to know if the picture books are still in the same format as on the color model? I am a library teacher and would like to use them for book clubs, small groups and for teachers to be able to borrow for classroom use.

Thanks,

Pat, NYC.

Hi Pat!

The picture books/children's Nook Books that are interactive don't function the same on the new Simple Touch like they do on the color.  If the target group is younger readers, the color might be a better choice.

Best,

Buffy

Pat, At this point, the Color Nook is far superior for picture books.  Additionally, the ability to play an mp3/audiobook might be important for the age group you serve.

Hi Buffy,

Thank you so much. I will be working a lot with  Kindergarten and First Grade. ( I see them twice a week.)

Once again,

Thanks,

Pat

Buffy Hamilton said:

Hi Pat!

The picture books/children's Nook Books that are interactive don't function the same on the new Simple Touch like they do on the color.  If the target group is younger readers, the color might be a better choice.

Best,

Buffy

Hi Sue,

Thanks for your quick reply. You are the 2nd person that has said that the Color Nook would be the better way to go.

Thanks and continue to enjoy your summer,

Pat

Sue Kimmel said:

Pat, At this point, the Color Nook is far superior for picture books.  Additionally, the ability to play an mp3/audiobook might be important for the age group you serve.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Will DeLamater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service