eBook Educators Group

where educators come to learn from one another

I need some quick assistance if possible! My district is considering purchasing me some ereaders for use with a book club at my middle school. At first they were thinking Kindle, but apparently Amazon won't accept a purchase order as payment? Now they're thinking Nook. Here's my questions:

*I know it's possible to purchase an ebook and put it on 6 Kindles. Is it possible to share an ebook between multiple Nooks? (the sharing option on the Nook expires after 2 weeks, I believe).

*Also, how many of you have students who regularly use the Text to Speech option on the Kindle? I know it's not available on the Nook.

Thank you!! I really appreciate quick answers on this. The district is looking to spend the $$ very soon.

Laura

Views: 2543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, Theresa, this site has been invaluable for me. We all have tight budgets, so we take this decision (deciding which ereader to purchase) very seriously. I'd like to bring another consideration into the mix: I feel that we should be supporting our public libraries with our ereader purchase, even if we do not plan right now to offer ebooks for download. Overdrive, the leading supplier/company for ebooks, is very expensive, so we cannot offer ebooks in our middle school library from them. BUT I do want to purchase an ereader that allows users to "check out" library books. Kindle only allows users to read books purchased from them. Why should I support this company? I know their ereader is nice, but shouldn't we support the companies that allow books to be checked out from public or school libraries? Barnes and Noble's Nook, Sony's Reader, and Borders' Kobo all allow users of their devices to check out books from school and public libraries that offer this service. I'm going to stick with a company that supports us, not Amazon.

Theresa Reagan said:
What an incredible group of sharing minds this has become! Thank you to everyone for responding to this query so people like me can learn from all of you as we prepare to take this next leap into the newest educational tech tool.
Excellent to know this, Linn. The more information I have on this the BETTER. And, yes, as an advocate of library use (public and school based) Amazon gets a big negatory for not opening up to this type of audience.

Linn McDonald said:
Yes, Theresa, this site has been invaluable for me. We all have tight budgets, so we take this decision (deciding which ereader to purchase) very seriously. I'd like to bring another consideration into the mix: I feel that we should be supporting our public libraries with our ereader purchase, even if we do not plan right now to offer ebooks for download. Overdrive, the leading supplier/company for ebooks, is very expensive, so we cannot offer ebooks in our middle school library from them. BUT I do want to purchase an ereader that allows users to "check out" library books. Kindle only allows users to read books purchased from them. Why should I support this company? I know their ereader is nice, but shouldn't we support the companies that allow books to be checked out from public or school libraries? Barnes and Noble's Nook, Sony's Reader, and Borders' Kobo all allow users of their devices to check out books from school and public libraries that offer this service. I'm going to stick with a company that supports us, not Amazon.

Theresa Reagan said:
What an incredible group of sharing minds this has become! Thank you to everyone for responding to this query so people like me can learn from all of you as we prepare to take this next leap into the newest educational tech tool.
A few more points of consideration from one of our stores' Digital Sales Managers, when asked for his thoughts on Kindle vs NOOK:

" 1.NOOK's Android Operating System means you are buying an evolving device. Kindle is on its 3rd generation, while NOOK is soon to be on its 5th update. When Kindle revamps their product, the customer has to purchase a new device. NOOK on the other hand, receives FREE updates that increase NOOK's responsiveness, speed, and add new content. For schools or individuals the benefit of not having to buy a new device every year is huge both for their sanity and pocket book.

2. Library Size --in addition to NOOK's ability to load library books, Barnes & Noble has a digital catalog of books roughly 5 times larger than Amazon. Kindle currently has a digital catalog of about 725K titles, while NOOKbooks are nearly 4 million! (2 million for purchase and 1.8 for FREE).

3. Expandable memory -- with Kindle you start and end with 4gigs of memory or 3500 ebooks. With NOOK you start with 2 gigs or 1500 NOOKbooks AND you can add memory up to 16 gigs for an additional 17,500 NOOKbooks, making NOOK an ideal device for school libraries in need of space and looking for a product that can grow and evolve with their school. "

As you can see, we have a lot of enthusiasm for our NOOKs!
This is even more wonderful news for budget tightened schools and their media centers. Keep the good info coming. I knew I liked the nook, but just reaffirms it.

Laurie Aldern said:
A few more points of consideration from one of our stores' Digital Sales Managers, when asked for his thoughts on Kindle vs NOOK:

" 1.NOOK's Android Operating System means you are buying an evolving device. Kindle is on its 3rd generation, while NOOK is soon to be on its 5th update. When Kindle revamps their product, the customer has to purchase a new device. NOOK on the other hand, receives FREE updates that increase NOOK's responsiveness, speed, and add new content. For schools or individuals the benefit of not having to buy a new device every year is huge both for their sanity and pocket book.

2. Library Size --in addition to NOOK's ability to load library books, Barnes & Noble has a digital catalog of books roughly 5 times larger than Amazon. Kindle currently has a digital catalog of about 725K titles, while NOOKbooks are nearly 4 million! (2 million for purchase and 1.8 for FREE).

3. Expandable memory -- with Kindle you start and end with 4gigs of memory or 3500 ebooks. With NOOK you start with 2 gigs or 1500 NOOKbooks AND you can add memory up to 16 gigs for an additional 17,500 NOOKbooks, making NOOK an ideal device for school libraries in need of space and looking for a product that can grow and evolve with their school. "

As you can see, we have a lot of enthusiasm for our NOOKs!

Rather than the school purchase lots of nooks how would this work if I have ONE nook at school with 100 titles.  Can those 100 titles be "checked out" to any nook that a student brings?  For example, if I have "Book1" on my nook I would only want to check it out to one other nook.  In 2 weeks that title "returns" and can be checked out by someone else.

Laurie Aldern said:

Hi Linn,

You can share 1 book with 6 NOOKs. It's the Lending feature that expires after 2 weeks...you can loan a book to a friend with a NOOK, (or with the NOOK app - say on their iPhone or computer-) they can read it for 2 weeks and then it returns to you. But as far as books you've purchased, you can have 6 NOOKs on every account, and each of the 6 can share a single title forever.

You've already read my post on using MP3 audio books in conjunction with eBooks, but for the good of the masses, here it is again:

I wanted to add a thought about using NOOK as a text reader... You can load both the eBook and the MP3 version of a book onto your NOOK for read-along capability. The great thing about the MP3 versions is that they're read by humans rather than computer generated, so you get inflection and emotion.

If you'd like to test it out, start by loading a free eBook and audio book. I recently added Dickens' The Christmas Carol to my NOOK and found it was quite easy to follow along and turn pages in sync with the recording.

You can access free books on your NOOK, or there are public domain books here:
http://www.booksshouldbefree.com/genre/Children

It's also possible to create your own audio books if you have the right recording software. A Google search turned up quite a few results for free MP3 recording software. Imagine younger kids following the text while their mom's voice reads the book!

RSS

© 2017   Created by Will DeLamater.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service